Director of Engineering
Reports to: VP, Product and Engineering
Location: DoSomething.org is headquartered in New York City with a hybrid and remote work culture. Preferably, candidates will be based in the New York City Metro area, but candidates in other locations within the U.S will be considered.
WHO WE ARE
DoSomething.org is a twenty-eight year old nonprofit fueling young people to change the world.
We have mobilized millions of DoSomething.org members to clothe young people in homeless shelters, clean up 3.7 million cigarette butts from the streets, run the largest youth-led sports equipment drive, and registered over 350,000 young people to vote since 2018!
Want to know more about our impact? Check out our 2021 Year in Review.
Mission: The Director of Engineering will lead the engineering team of 4+ to create the future of DoSomething’s member experience.
The Director of Engineering is responsible for leading DoSomething’s engineering team, currently composed of four engineers, toward a future in which young people can achieve more than ever before – and build peer connections while doing so. Additionally, they will be responsible for mapping a trajectory from our current experience to our future experience, and leading the engineering team forward to achieve the vision.
As a leader, the Director of Engineering will step into an organization that runs atop modern technologies. In addition to leading the team in growing our impact, they will have the opportunity to investigate and experiment across tech and tools where young people reside with the goal of ensuring DoSomething’s tech will meet young people where they are, and will be.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Strategic Visioning & Process Management - 30%
- Partner with Product stakeholders to develop a long-term vision for key properties and technologies and envision, plan and execute on near-term tactics against that vision.
- Partner with Product stakeholders to map and right-size development timelines to target vision.
- Devise and drive near and long-term plans to ensure architectural development, implementation, and maintenance to prioritize simplicity, flexibility, reliability, and performance.
- Generate and share decision-making principles or frameworks to guide architectural decisions across the enterprise.
- Be an advocate for clear Agile processes, great documentation, pairing, peer PR reviews and other practices that result in a great ecosystem.
Innovation & Growth - 30%
- Synthesize architectural vision in consultation with internal and external expertise.
- Synthesize and maintain adherence to high-quality engineering practices (for ex., pairing, code reviews, clean comments, translation of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging into code practices).
- Support the engineering team with real-time problem solving and/or PR code reviews. Our code is open-source.
- Explore emerging technologies and services to surface new opportunities for organizational impact.
- Break the mold by encouraging experimentation across a wide variety of platforms and spaces to externalize DoSomething’s member experience and reach a diversity of young people.
Organizational Leadership & People Management - 40%
- Advocate for the Engineering team and the architectural vision.
- Inspire the engineering team; and grow, manage and develop engineers.
- Partner with peers and collaborate throughout the organization to assess critical technical processes across the organization and drive innovation and ideation.
- Cultivate a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and advocate for continuous growth and development.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- You have 5+ years of experience with hands-on software development and architecture, including within a modern Agile teaming environment. Testing experience is a plus.
- You have 3+ years of direct experience running multiple Agile teams.
- You have experience collaborating with teams of designers, researchers, product managers, and engineers throughout the product development process.
- You are proficient with engineering tools and applications such as AWS, Heroku, React.js, MongoDB, MySQL, Laravel/PHP and GraphQL.
- Familiarity with data models, database design, and segmentation techniques is preferred.
- You have strong communication skills for a variety of audiences, settings, and formats (e.g.; verbal - lead or attendee for internal/external meetings; written - email, Slack, and internal/external documents).
Select Perks & Benefits.
- 3 weeks vacation, paid winter holiday break (from Christmas to New Years), and ½ Day Summer Fridays (Memorial Day to Labor Day!).
- Medical and dental premiums fully covered by us. You read that right!
- An incredibly compelling reason to wake up and make it to work every day.
DoSomething.org is an equal opportunity employer.
Please, no calls.
DoSomething.org and DoSomething Strategic (“we”, “us”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy explains when and why we collect personal information on candidates, and how we keep it secure.
How and why we collect data from you.
- We collect and retain data that is included in your job application. This includes your full name, contact information, and any personal information disclosed in your resume, cover letter, and other supplemental application materials.
- Data is collected for evaluation criteria when seeking employment at DoSomething
- We will only use your data for what was originally intended -- for purposes of seeking and gaining employment at DoSomething. Your data will not be “recycled” for marketing emails or to sell to third parties.
How long do we retain this data?
- DoSomething will retain candidate profiles for 3 years.
- Annually on August 1, candidate profiles from 3+ years prior will be entirely deleted from our system.
Is your data secure?
- JazzHR maintains secure job board pages. Job boards will default to HTTPS. Additionally, if we were to terminate our contract with JazzHR our candidate data is deleted from JazzHR’s systems in accordance with JazzHR’s Terms of Service.