Director of Data & Insights
Reports To: Head of Product
Start Date: ASAP
At its core, DoSomething.org is a data-driven organization. Data considerations lead every strategy and goal-setting conversation. The data team’s job is to analyze large and dynamic data sets, detect changes in our member’s behavior and the global youth population, and use data and insights to measure our performance and help set our goals. The Director of Analytics will manage the data team and facilitate data-informed decision making throughout the organization. This role reports to the Head of Product, and works closely with the Product and Engineering teams, as well as with team leads across the organization.
We are looking for a leader with exceptional analytical and storytelling skills. You should be comfortable developing insights to make the case for new growth opportunities. Data storytelling requires raising your vision above daily analytics to pursue bigger questions: What trends are important? Where should we be paying attention? What are our immediate and long-term challenges and opportunities?
What you’ll do here:
- Team Management: Lead our analytics team, which includes data scientists, data analysts, and data engineers. Serve as both manager and mentor.
- Data Product & Strategy: Define our data roadmap, model the impact of products and feature changes, define best practices, and support the prioritization of future work.
- Tactical Analytics: Collaborate with teams across the organization to deliver key insights from complex datasets to enable day-to-day decision making (e.g., A/B testing, pre/post product launch analytics, forecasting).
- Market Research: Oversee member and market insights, manage the design of surveys for both members and the general youth population, and use the findings to derive product, content, and communication strategy for the organization.
- Communication: Present data-driven narratives and insights to staff, lead KPI reporting at weekly management meetings, and provide updates to Board of Directors.
- Democratized Data: Share data in a digestible way with the entire organization; generate, maintain, and automate reporting (e.g., Looker dashboards); and promote a culture of data-informed decision-making across teams.
- 5+ years data experience, ideally involving consumer web products
- Experience managing and mentoring data scientists and engineers
- Competence with SQL and at least one scripting language for analytics (e.g., Python, R)
- Expertise with web analytics
- Experience with Google Analytics, MixPanel, or similar
- Expertise in experiment design, implementation, and analysis (i.e. A/B or multivariate testing)
Select Perks & Benefits:
- 3 weeks' vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s (and Summer Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day -- office closes at 1:30), fun office environment, a spot on our summer kickball team, and occasional brownie bake-offs. Plus, you don’t have to come to work on your birthday.
- 100% medical and dental premiums covered. Yep, you read that right.
- DoSomething is an equal opportunity employer. Obviously.
DoSomething.org is a movement to create the most socially active generation in history.
- We fight for our members every single day. We care deeply about activating our 5 million members around the world to make impact in their communities.
- We believe in young people. We believe all young people have the agency to create social change and we provide them with the guidance to make it happen.
- We don’t hire just anybody. We work hella hard and we move super fast. We want people who get excited to come to work at our dynamic office every day.
- We genuinely stand behind who we are and what we do. No faking it here. Everyone on our staff has their own “why” for coming to work every day. What will yours be?
We have the stability of a 25-year-old organization, but we look, feel, and operate like a tech-forward startup. Our ideal candidate brings an extremely high level of creativity, passion, and leadership to the role. They get pumped at the idea of creating big idea concepts that can be executed across all marketing channels for our organization.
Please, no calls.
DoSomething.org and DoSomething Strategic (“we”, “us”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy explains when and why we collect personal information on candidates, and how we keep it secure.
Who are we?
- DoSomething.org is one of the largest organizations in the world focused on young people and social change. DoSomething Strategic is the consulting arm of DoSomething.org. Our 6 million+ members take action, online and offline, to better their communities by participating in one of our 250+ cause campaigns.
How and why we collect data from you.
- We collect and retain data that is included in your job application. This includes your full name, contact information, and any personal information disclosed in your resume, cover letter, and other supplemental application materials.
- Data is collected for evaluation criteria when seeking employment at DoSomething
- We will only use your data for what was originally intended -- for purposes of seeking and gaining employment at DoSomething. Your data will not be “recycled” for marketing emails or to sell to third parties.
How long do we retain this data?
- DoSomething will retain candidate profiles for 3 years.
- Annually on August 1, candidate profiles from 3+ years prior will be entirely deleted from our system.
Is your data secure?
- JazzHR maintains secure job board pages. Job boards will default to HTTPS. Additionally, if we were to terminate our contract with JazzHR our candidate data is deleted from JazzHR’s systems in accordance with JazzHR’s Terms of Service.