Reports to: CEO, DoSomething.org
Target Start Date: ASAP
Who We Are:
DoSomething Strategic is a strategy consultancy built for clients that want to activate young people and fuel positive impact in the world. We’re the consulting arm of DoSomething.org, the largest organization for young people and social change. DoSomething Strategic harnesses DoSomething.org’s expertise and behavioral data to help our clients engage and build long-lasting relationships with young people built around purpose.
We’ve grown tremendously in the last 7 years, and are proud of our diverse client roster that includes brands like PINK, Nike, and Viacom and nonprofits like NRDC, Habitat for Humanity International, and Plan International. We’re an earned income revenue stream for DoSomething.org, so 100% of our profits support the organization’s mission. The DoSomething Strategic team is housed in the DoSomething.org office and gets all of the benefits of being part of an incredible 26-year-old organization while still blazing its own path and operating as a separate function.
DoSomething Strategic is seeking to hire a Managing Director to lead the consultancy and its team into its next era of growth. The ideal candidate will be a marketing communications trailblazer, a thought leader who can help guide the future of purpose-driven brands and nonprofits, and has a proven track record of successfully developing and managing a business base. The individual in this role will be responsible for strategic planning and visioning, business development, agency operations, and key client relationships. As a thoughtful, inclusive, and inspiring leader, the Managing Director will also oversee and manage the performance of the team and play a part in attracting new talent to help build the business. As a part of the executive leadership team at DoSomething.org you will collaborate with other exec team leads and report directly to the CEO of DoSomething.org.
Agency Vision, Strategy & Operations (10%)
- Lead DoSomething Strategic as a differentiated and powerful strategic consultancy
- Identify additional market opportunities, service offerings, and revenue streams that build on the work we already do
- Work closely with the DoSomething and DoSomething Strategic business development teams to solidify our growth strategy over the next 3-5 years
- Manage P&L with appropriate performance markers
- Provide oversight of and direction to shared resources - recruiting needs, financial analysis needs, etc.
- Manage the current workflow such that you allow for focus and efficiency
Thought Leadership & Business Development (50%)
- Engage in strategic thought leadership—public speaking, interviews, and writing—on the topic of young people + purpose
- Pitch and lock new business from current relationships and prospects in the pipeline
- Ensure that we are meeting and exceeding aggressive revenue targets each year
- Work with business development team to identify and evaluate all new revenue opportunities (organic and new biz), pushing our business further while staying true to our mission
- Monitor the marketplace for new trends, opportunities, and key players within the social impact space
- Identify, quickly communicate, and act upon “what’s next”
Client Service & Strategy (25%)
- Oversee senior-level client relationships and key client work, ensuring that we’re delivering big, bold ideas and adding value to our clients at every turn
- Guide strategic direction for client campaigns and projects, as needed
- Attend senior-level client meetings, as needed
- Help lead strategists create plans to support the evolution and growth of their accounts
People Development (15%)
- Have a strong understanding of the individual capabilities, strengths and opportunities of the team members and act as a mentor and champion of your team members by encouraging a high level of strategic thinking and creativity while providing guidance on daily activities and professional development, as needed
- 100% of the time—Build and maintain a high-performing anti-racist and inclusive culture of transparency, trust, collaboration and fun where all employees feel welcomed, appreciated and have equal access to opportunity including young people and people from intersectional and marginalized experiences and groups
- 100% of the time—Unfailingly model the desirable attributes of the culture, passionately advocate for them, and exhibit an understanding, sensitivity, and responsiveness to the cultural and multigenerational differences present in the team
- 12+ years relevant client-facing business experience, including 5+ years of team management experience
- Good, clear communicator with experience in the public sphere—have spoken at events, been interviewed by media, have written blogs and reports
- Thought partner sought out by clients to provide counsel about marketing communications and business solutions
- Strong operational experience—have built processes for managing workflow with a heavy deliverable cadence
- P&L management experience
- Must be someone who wants to build something and lead a team
- Ability to be hands on, roll up the sleeves, lean into the work
- Has the ability to mobilize the right resources to solve problems
- Strong ability to manage complex client relationships
- Comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Demonstrates openness to new possibilities and ways of thinking
- Drawn to social impact, tech, young people, and innovation
- Pragmatic, organized planner
- Inclusive team player, collaborative in nature
Select Perks & Benefits.
- 3 weeks vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Years (plus ½ Day Summer Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day!). And your birthday off, Valentine’s Day off, and a half-day on Halloween.
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Employee medical and dental premiums fully covered by us. Mhmm. You read that right.
- An incredibly compelling reason to wake up and make it to work every day.
See our careers site for more details: www.dosomething.org/us/about/join-our-team
DoSomething.org is an equal opportunity employer.
Please, no calls.
DoSomething.org and DoSomething Strategic (“we”, “us”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy explains when and why we collect personal information on candidates, and how we keep it secure.
Who are we?
- DoSomething.org is one of the largest organizations in the world focused on young people and social change. DoSomething Strategic is the consulting arm of DoSomething.org. Our 6 million+ members take action, online and offline, to better their communities by participating in one of our 250+ cause campaigns.
How and why we collect data from you.
- We collect and retain data that is included in your job application. This includes your full name, contact information, and any personal information disclosed in your resume, cover letter, and other supplemental application materials.
- Data is collected for evaluation criteria when seeking employment at DoSomething
- We will only use your data for what was originally intended -- for purposes of seeking and gaining employment at DoSomething. Your data will not be “recycled” for marketing emails or to sell to third parties.
How long do we retain this data?
- DoSomething will retain candidate profiles for 3 years.
- Annually on August 1, candidate profiles from 3+ years prior will be entirely deleted from our system.
Is your data secure?
- JazzHR maintains secure job board pages. Job boards will default to HTTPS. Additionally, if we were to terminate our contract with JazzHR our candidate data is deleted from JazzHR’s systems in accordance with JazzHR’s Terms of Service.