VP of Engineering
Reporting to: Chief Product Officer
Who are we?
DoSomething.org is a movement to create the most socially active generation in history.
Our campaigns have mobilized our members to clothe half of America’s youth in homeless shelters, clean up 3.7 million cigarette butts from the streets, run the largest youth-led sports equipment drive, and register over 250k voters leading up to the 2020 Presidential election.
We have the stability of a 26-year-old institution, but we look, feel, and operate like a tech-forward startup.
Want more? Check this video out.
We're looking for a technical leader who loves to grow and manage engineering teams, and who can represent the engineering practice across our org—and the world. Our next VP will be from an engineering background, but achieves professional bliss by building and running a happy and effective team.
DoSomething.org is almost half product and tech. We’re a diverse team, and know our diversity makes us better technologists. This position reports to the Chief Product Officer and will manage a team of seasoned, productive, and enthusiastic coders working with Node, React.js, GraphQL, Laravel, Python, Terraform, bash scripts, and more.
How we work
- All of our code is open source and on GitHub.
- Every pull request is code-reviewed.
- We deploy often, and continuously integrate with CircleCI.
- We run code in Heroku and AWS Lambda.
- We maintain quality with unit and functional testing. We make heavy use of New Relic, Papertrail, StatHat, and Runscope for observability.
- We're always looking for better ways to work, and end each sprint with a retrospective.
What you’ll do
Manage the Engineering Organization (50%)
- Manage the engineering team and help engineers understand how their contributions tie back to business impact.
- Ensure the team has the resources and opportunities to grow, and sustain a healthy engineering culture through constant learning & development, coaching, mentorship, and training.
- Collaborate with the Chief Product Officer on career paths and help determine optimal team structure to achieve current and future goals.
- Manage team dynamics and employee relations issues and be accountable for resolution.
- Effectively manage change as needed to best fit with the business needs.
Drive Engineering Team Execution / Delivery (20%)
- Inspire and motivate the team to strive for excellence and innovation, aspire a blue sky state, achieve results, and hold teams accountable to deliver on their own goals.
- Ensure that the engineering team has the right tools, technology, and processes to build quality, scalable and reliable systems.
- Devise methods to measure output and effectiveness and present findings and bottlenecks (i.e., product development cycle time, operational health)
- Monitor and optimize velocity.
Technical Strategy and Vision (20%)
- Drive overall strategic technical vision and determine how engineering will contribute to achievement of the product and larger company vision and goals.
- Partner closely with the Chief Product Officer to drive cross-functional excellence in product roadmapping and delivery.
Organizational Leadership (10%)
- Work in an interdisciplinary manner with peers in other departments (Product, Design, Marketing, Business Development, etc), as well as executive leadership, to create both a strategic and tactical roadmap that tackles both business needs and efficiencies and fundamental technology innovation.
- Create space for innovation and ideation across Departments.
- Act as a brand ambassador for DoSomething’s mission, vision, and technology.
What you’ll bring
- Systems-level thinking and architectural vision. 10+ years of software engineering experience with a strong track record of success, and a history of roles that demonstrate growth and/or advancement in complexity, difficulty, or level of responsibility, and a dynamic perspective on technical leadership. Moreover, our VP needs strong technology fundamentals and the ability to make high impact decisions about the long term viability/scalability of technical solutions and strategy in near- and mid-terms, while accounting for strategic vision and business conditions.
- Extensive management experience. A progressive background managing and coaching both individual contributors and engineering managers with a proven track record of successfully building, leading and retaining diverse teams, and highly skilled in giving and soliciting feedback with empathy and humility.
- Demonstrated project management skills. Experienced in building and delivering products, scaling projects, and shipping high quality products on time. Must be data-informed, able to design and execute processes, set and track KPIs, and leverage data and user feedback to deliver timely solutions. A background working with and managing vendor relationships (making build vs buy decisions), and on products over multiple major evolutions are both huge pluses.
- Leadership. Comfortable stepping up as a thought-leader across the entire organization. Collaborative by nature with a mind for business and strategic outcomes, and an affinity for working cross-functionally in highly matrixed environments. Relationship management skills are essential, as is a portable external network to aid the growth and development of the engineering team, and a discernible passion for working with and mentoring junior team members. The ability to lead across difference and a proven commitment to continuous learning and exploration of DEI and cross-cultural competency in the workplace are must-have requirements for this, or any, leadership position at DoSomething.org.
Select Perks & Benefits
- 3 weeks vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Years (plus ½ Day Summer Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day!). And your birthday off, Valentine’s Day off, and a half-day on Halloween.
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Employee medical and dental premiums fully covered by us. Mhmm. You read that right.
- An incredibly compelling reason to wake up and make it to work every day.
See our careers site for more details: www.dosomething.org/us/about/join-our-team
DoSomething.org is an equal opportunity employer.
Please, no calls.
DoSomething.org and DoSomething Strategic (“we”, “us”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy explains when and why we collect personal information on candidates, and how we keep it secure.
Who are we?
- DoSomething.org is one of the largest organizations in the world focused on young people and social change. DoSomething Strategic is the consulting arm of DoSomething.org. Our 6 million+ members take action, online and offline, to better their communities by participating in one of our 250+ cause campaigns.
How and why we collect data from you.
- We collect and retain data that is included in your job application. This includes your full name, contact information, and any personal information disclosed in your resume, cover letter, and other supplemental application materials.
- Data is collected for evaluation criteria when seeking employment at DoSomething
- We will only use your data for what was originally intended -- for purposes of seeking and gaining employment at DoSomething. Your data will not be “recycled” for marketing emails or to sell to third parties.
How long do we retain this data?
- DoSomething will retain candidate profiles for 3 years.
- Annually on August 1, candidate profiles from 3+ years prior will be entirely deleted from our system.
Is your data secure?
- JazzHR maintains secure job board pages. Job boards will default to HTTPS. Additionally, if we were to terminate our contract with JazzHR our candidate data is deleted from JazzHR’s systems in accordance with JazzHR’s Terms of Service.