Business Development Director
- Job: Business Development Director
- Reports to: VP, Business Development
- Start Date: ASAP
DoSomething.org is a movement to create the most socially active generation in history.
- We fight for our members every single day. We care deeply about activating our millions of members around the world to make an impact in their communities.
- We believe in young people. We believe all young people have the agency to create social change and we provide them with the guidance to make it happen.
- We don’t hire just anybody. We work hella hard and we move super fast. We want people who get excited to come to work at our dynamic office every day.
- We genuinely stand behind who we are and what we do. No faking it here. Everyone on our staff has their own “why” for coming to work every day. What will yours be?
We have the stability of a 25-year-old organization, but we look, feel, and operate like a tech-forward startup. Our ideal candidate brings an extremely high level of creativity, passion, and leadership to the role. They are able to find solutions to any challenge and are the ultimate win-win negotiator. The Business Development Director is someone who can think on their feet, knows the value of asking the right questions, and is an expert listener who can read nonverbal communication cues to hear what’s not being said.
We’re looking for someone with a proven track-record of closing complicated revenue partnerships by creating custom packages. As the Business Development Director, your main priorities will be to:
- Close deals with new and renewing revenue partnerships. (30%) You must understand what our partners value most and work cross-functionally with the DoSomething staff to build campaigns that will bring value to our partner and, first and foremost, to DoSomething members. You understand that even if a partner is unlikely to lock on one partnership, you always pitch our best work so they see what DoSomething is capable of.
- Build a robust roster of current, past, and potential prospects (20%) that you manage through frequent (monthly), value-driven, customized communications that keep all valid leads warm. You will be responsible for identifying new business opportunities and cultivating those contacts. You’ll also serve as relationship manager for High Growth Renewals by maintaining relationships with partners even after the partnership has locked, and identifying opportunities to upsell them during further partnerships.
- Represent DoSomething publicly and educate new partners on DoSomething capabilities (20%). As a member of our revenue-generating team, you’ll be “on” all the time, and represent DoSomething consistent with our brand values: relevant, inspiring, and never just meh. You’re social, but you’re also substantive. People leave conversations with you feeling knowledgeable, more motivated, and excited to take action. You know how to take a company from “not interested” to “whoa, that NGO is exciting” in a 15 minute conversation. You’re able to prepare presentations for any environment (zoom conference, 1:1 calls, email correspondence, and in-person). Plus, you can pivot presentations in real-time to match the partner’s needs and interests.
- Internal Reporting, Planning and Cross-Team Collaboration (30%). This includes working internally to include all key departments/stakeholders on new campaign development and pitching. A key component of this is overseeing campaign creating briefs for the Creative Strategy team to represent the interests of prospects and outline the deliverables required to move the pitch forward. Additionally, as a leader on the Business Development Team you’ll be expected to recommend systems that improve the overall operations of the Business Development team and how we work interdepartmentally. Finally, we’re a scrappy team, and everyone is expected to manage their our work (managing your calendar, building your decks, etc).
- You have 7-10 years of direct experience building and locking partnerships of $100,000+.
- You crush it with your strong written and verbal communication skills; you can develop presentations with clear narratives and compelling solutions, and your on-brand public speaking and storytelling capabilities make you the “it” person in the room.
- You are the master at suggesting next steps, customizing communications, and following-through with even the most unlikely of leads.
- You are a creative problem solver who can navigate even the most complicated situations by understanding the needs of all key stakeholders.
- You’re an email wizard. You communicate clearly and swiftly to incoming messages and know that sending an email is not equal to completing a task. Follow-through is the cornerstone of your success.
- You understand that due to the nature of this role, external partners can change your day’s plan with little/minimal notice. You like the challenge of not knowing what a day may bring and are cool under pressure. You understand that some late nights, unplanned challenges, and tuning in to email outside of traditional business hours are part of the job.
- You can calibrate to different partner styles (aka, ‘dress for the day you have’).
- You’re seriously passionate about what we do. You believe in the collective power of young people and you’re obsessed with getting young people across the globe to act on important social issues.
- You are ready to act as a thought partner to the VP of Business Development and a subject matter expert across every level of the organization; you lean into supporting and collaborating with others; and you’re committed to continuous learning and exploration of equity, inclusion and race to serve our mission, our members, and our partners.
Select Perks & Benefits.
- 3 weeks vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Years (plus ½ Day Summer Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day!). And your birthday off, Valentine’s Day off, and a half-day on Halloween.
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Employee medical and dental premiums fully covered by us. Mhmm. You read that right.
- An incredibly compelling reason to wake up and make it to work every day.
See our careers site for more details: www.dosomething.org/us/about/join-our-team
DoSomething.org is an equal opportunity employer.
Please, no calls.
DoSomething.org and DoSomething Strategic (“we”, “us”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy explains when and why we collect personal information on candidates, and how we keep it secure.
Who are we?
- DoSomething.org is one of the largest organizations in the world focused on young people and social change. DoSomething Strategic is the consulting arm of DoSomething.org. Our 6 million+ members take action, online and offline, to better their communities by participating in one of our 250+ cause campaigns.
How and why we collect data from you.
- We collect and retain data that is included in your job application. This includes your full name, contact information, and any personal information disclosed in your resume, cover letter, and other supplemental application materials.
- Data is collected for evaluation criteria when seeking employment at DoSomething
- We will only use your data for what was originally intended -- for purposes of seeking and gaining employment at DoSomething. Your data will not be “recycled” for marketing emails or to sell to third parties.
How long do we retain this data?
- DoSomething will retain candidate profiles for 3 years.
- Annually on August 1, candidate profiles from 3+ years prior will be entirely deleted from our system.
Is your data secure?
- JazzHR maintains secure job board pages. Job boards will default to HTTPS. Additionally, if we were to terminate our contract with JazzHR our candidate data is deleted from JazzHR’s systems in accordance with JazzHR’s Terms of Service.