Reports To: Editor-in-chief
Overview: We’re looking for an experienced writer to a) write articles about DoSomething.org campaigns for publications like Huffington Post and TeenVogue.com, b) manage our blog, and c) write emails to our 2.4 million email subscribers.
For more information on our internship program including dates and compensation, please visit our internships page.
What You’ll Do:
- Write campaign round-ups, member stories, and celebrity Q&As
- Manage the DoSomething.org blog
- Write broadcast emails promoting our campaigns and announcing our scholarship winners
What You’ll Learn:
- How to write professional quality content online
- How to generate and pitch compelling story ideas
- How to manage a Medium publication
- How badass DoSomething.org members are
What We’re Looking For:
- Strong writing and reporting skills
- Excellent copy editing skills and attention to detail (have I made any typos here? Likely!)
- Creative and compelling story ideas
- A strong understanding of the DoSomething.org brand, our campaigns, and our blog content
- Timeliness, professionalism, and the ability to work independently
- Photoshop experience (not required)
- Any application that doesn’t follow directions will be immediately disqualified. (Harsh, right?)
- Your resume should be no longer than 1 page
- Your cover letter should be no longer than 250 words and should showcase a) your best writing ability and b) why you’re uniquely qualified for the position
- At the bottom of your cover letter, please submit one piece of published writing, whether a news story, feature, column, essay, or editorial. (No poetry or fiction, please.) Submissions should be a link to an online story or a public Dropbox file of a print piece.
Please, no calls.
DoSomething.org and DoSomething Strategic (“we”, “us”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy explains when and why we collect personal information on candidates, and how we keep it secure.
Who are we?
- DoSomething.org is one of the largest organizations in the world focused on young people and social change. DoSomething Strategic is the consulting arm of DoSomething.org. Our 6 million+ members take action, online and offline, to better their communities by participating in one of our 250+ cause campaigns.
How and why we collect data from you.
- We collect and retain data that is included in your job application. This includes your full name, contact information, and any personal information disclosed in your resume, cover letter, and other supplemental application materials.
Data is collected for evaluation criteria when seeking employment at DoSomething
- We will only use your data for what was originally intended -- for purposes of seeking and gaining employment at DoSomething. Your data will not be “recycled” for marketing emails or to sell to third parties.
How long do we retain this data?
- DoSomething will retain candidate profiles for 3 years.
- Annually on August 1, candidate profiles from 3+ years prior will be entirely deleted from our system.
Is your data secure?
- JazzHR maintains secure job board pages. Job boards will default to HTTPS. Additionally, if we were to terminate our contract with JazzHR our candidate data is deleted from JazzHR’s systems in accordance with JazzHR’s Terms of Service.