Reports to: Director of Finance & HR
Start Date: ASAP
DoSomething.org is a movement to create the most socially active generation in history.
- We fight for our members every single day. We care deeply about activating our millions of members around the world to make impact in their communities.
- We believe in young people. We believe all young people have the agency to create social change and we provide them with the guidance to make it happen.
- We don’t hire just anybody. We work hella hard and we move super fast. We want people who get excited to come to work at our dynamic office every day.
- We genuinely stand behind who we are and what we do. No faking it here. Everyone on our staff has their own “why” for coming to work every day. What will yours be?
We have the stability of a 25-year-old organization, but we look, feel, and operate like a tech-forward startup. The Finance team at DoSomething.org is the backbone of the organization and is already incredibly strong; we are part of only 1% of not-for-profits that have received a 4-star rating on Charity Navigator for TWELVE years in a row. If you are a numbers wizard who has a keen attention to detail, a knack for financial strategy and process improvement, and are passionate about contributing to the DoSomething culture, we’d love to hear from you!
What you’ll do here.
Accounting & Financial Close
- Perform accounting functions necessary to complete the monthly, quarterly and year end close (e.g.; revenue, receivables and collections; expenses, payables and disbursements; prepaid and fixed assets; accruals and deferrals; recording, reviewing, reconciling accounts and monthly reports, etc)
- Perform other aspects of the accounting process such as general ledger maintenance, journal entry preparation, balance sheet account reconciliations; documenting period fluctuations and research/clear account transactions
- Prepare monthly/quarterly financial close reports (Statement of Activities, Statement of Financial Position) in an accurate and timely manner, with insightful data analysis for the Management team
- Owner of financial close, reporting and analysis and invoicing/billable process for DoSomething Strategic, our in-house strategic consultancy
- Review revenue and expense contracts and adhere to donors’ reporting requirements, including restricted grants allocation
- Recording bi-weekly payroll and retirement contributions for 60+ FT and PT employees
Financial Planning & Analysis
- Prepare and present detailed and timely monthly/quarterly financial reports and analysis (forecast, cash flow, budget vs actuals, etc) for the Executive Team
- Actively participate in preparing and completing the annual budget and long range plans, and related variance analysis
Documentation, Process Improvement, & Internal Controls
- Support the Director in proactively identifying and implementing process improvements and actionable remedies that optimize efficiencies and improve the quality of financial analysis
- Support the Director in proactively monitoring financial risks to develop, promote, and maintain best accounting practices around strong internal controls
- Maintain compliance with and documentation of our fiscal policies and procedures
- Operate as the point person for day-to-day finance & accounting matters with internal and external parties
- Assist Director in preparing and completing year-end audit schedules and Form 990
- Oversee our state solicitations application and filing process, making sure all filings are up to date
- Collaborate with the People Operations team in financial aspects of employee lifecycle onboarding, offboarding, and changes
- Oversee the DoSomething and DoSomething Strategic scholarship process, acting as the finance point person for inquiry, recording, reconciling, and disbursement of funds
What you’ve done.
- 3-5 years comparable, hands-on experience, including financial close, forecasting, budgeting, long range planning, audit and reporting
- Taken ownership of projects that lead to financial and operational efficiencies and more productive and effective use of time and budget
- Worked independently and within a team environment that required exceptional follow through and follow-up
- Obtained proficiency using Slack, Google Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, etc.), and Microsoft Office software (Word/Excel/PowerPoint). Proficiency in Quickbooks or other accounting software a plus.
Who you are.
- You’ve acquired solid knowledge and have a strong interest and passion for accounting and finance principles that you feel confident putting into practice
- You’re an extremely analytical and organized problem solver with the ability to manage details while seeing the big picture
- You’re a solid written/verbal communicator with effective financial presentation skills and the ability to interact cross-functionally, with all levels in the org
- You have exemplary task-, project-, and time-management skills with the ability to function well in a fast-paced environment
- You’re efficient, accountable and drive results with data informed decision making and a positive mindset
- Salary commensurate with years of experience at a not-for-profit scale.
- 3 weeks vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Years (plus Summer Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day!). And your birthday, Valentine’s day, and a half-day on Halloween, if you’re in costume.
- A fun office environment, a gong, brownie bake-offs, and the best coworkers you could ask for.
- Medical and dental premiums fully covered by us. Mhmm. You read that right.
- Five (or six? We’re losing count.) different ways of making coffee.
- An incredibly compelling reason to wake up and make it to work every day.
- DoSomething.org is an equal opportunity employer. Obviously.
- In your cover letter, be sure to convey why you’re interested in learning and growing with us as our Finance Associate.
Please, no calls.
DoSomething.org and DoSomething Strategic (“we”, “us”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy explains when and why we collect personal information on candidates, and how we keep it secure.
Who are we?
- DoSomething.org is one of the largest organizations in the world focused on young people and social change. DoSomething Strategic is the consulting arm of DoSomething.org. Our 6 million+ members take action, online and offline, to better their communities by participating in one of our 250+ cause campaigns.
How and why we collect data from you.
- We collect and retain data that is included in your job application. This includes your full name, contact information, and any personal information disclosed in your resume, cover letter, and other supplemental application materials.
- Data is collected for evaluation criteria when seeking employment at DoSomething
- We will only use your data for what was originally intended -- for purposes of seeking and gaining employment at DoSomething. Your data will not be “recycled” for marketing emails or to sell to third parties.
How long do we retain this data?
- DoSomething will retain candidate profiles for 3 years.
- Annually on August 1, candidate profiles from 3+ years prior will be entirely deleted from our system.
Is your data secure?
- JazzHR maintains secure job board pages. Job boards will default to HTTPS. Additionally, if we were to terminate our contract with JazzHR our candidate data is deleted from JazzHR’s systems in accordance with JazzHR’s Terms of Service.