DoSomething Strategic, Director Business Development
- New York, NY
- Full Time
- DoSomething Strategic
DOSOMETHING STRATEGIC, DIRECTOR BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
Reports to: CEO; Eventually: Managing Director, DoSomething Strategic
Target Start Date: January 18, 2022
Location: DoSomething.org has its headquarters in NYC. As a result of COVID-19, DoSomething staff are working fully remote. DoSomething is exploring a hybrid return to office approach with a target of spring 2022. Preferably, candidates will be based in the New York City Metro area, but candidates in other locations within the U.S. will be considered.
WHO WE ARE
DoSomething Strategic is a strategy consultancy built for clients that want to activate young people and fuel positive impact. As the consulting arm of DoSomething.org, a tech-forward nonprofit catalyzing young people for social impact, our expertise is built on over 28 years of direct impact in activating and empowering millions of young people to change the world. We leverage our data, research, and team of youth experts to help our clients engage and build long-lasting relationships with young people built around purpose.
DoSomething Strategic is an earned income revenue stream for DoSomething.org, so 100% of our profits support the organization's mission. We’ve grown tremendously in the last 7 years, and are proud of our diverse client roster that includes major brands like PINK, Nike, and Viacom and large nonprofits like NRDC, Habitat for Humanity International, and Plan International.
DoSomething is seeking a results driven, self-motivated Business Development Director to take the DoSomething Strategic consultancy to new levels; collaborating with national and global partners to grow our impact on the youth-led social impact movement.
Reporting to the Managing Director of DoSomething Strategic, the Business Development Director will develop short- and long-term new business revenue strategies and execute an actionable business pipeline to success. This is both a revenue-generating and partner relationship role with an exception of establishing and meeting revenue targets from new client business while also contributing to organic growth and renewal efforts across the consultancy, including managing partner relationships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Revenue Generation & Growth (50%)
- Develop a system for prospecting, cultivating and stewarding a new business pipeline, including executing effective outreach and follow-up programs that establish ongoing dialogue with decision makers that result in new business meetings and contracts
- Develop initial pitch presentations that show potential clients the power of working with DoSomething Strategic, as well as detailed proposals that set our team up for success while also addressing the client’s /need(s)
- Identify and determine viability and structure of new revenue streams for DoSomething Strategic
- Research, stay abreast of, and collaborate with our Impact team about industry trends among our primary demographics to leverage these insights in service of revenue generation and positioning the consultancy as a center of excellence in the youth social impact, civic engagement and democracy sectors.
Marketing and Thought-Leadership (30%)
- Represent DoSomething Strategic at industry and trade events, sharing our expertise as a center of excellence in knowing young people, in order to source new business pipelines
- Prospect, cultivate and manage DoSomething Strategic PR activity, including trade press interviews and bylines, bi-weekly DSS newsletter, and speaking opportunities
Culture & Leadership (20%)
- Inspire and foster a high-performing culture of growth for all team members
- Build and maintain a high-performing antiracist and inclusive culture of transparency, trust, collaboration and fun where all employees feel welcomed, appreciated and have equal access to opportunity including young people and people from intersectional and marginalized experiences and groups
- Model the desirable attributes of the DoSomething culture, passionately advocate for them, and exhibit an understanding, sensitivity, and responsiveness to the cultural and multigenerational differences present in the team.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- 7+ years in business development.
- Strong and proven background exceeding sales targets.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with proven track record of building partnerships from scratch
- Agency, marketing, or professional services experience preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with on-brand public speaking and storytelling capabilities; experienced at developing presentations with clear narratives and compelling solutions.
- Proven experience being data-driven and using data to uncover new possibilities and ways of thinking to mobilize the right resources to solve problems and move the work forward.
- Thought leadership experience with a proven background of public speaking; executive outreach; and connecting and cultivating strong relationships with marketing leaders, nonprofit leaders, and other client prospects to secure new business, negotiate, and close strategic partnerships
WHO YOU ARE
- You are results oriented and consistently set and achieve realistic business goals and understand the importance of meeting quality standards and deadlines
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to distill and adapt messaging, style, and tone with concision to accommodate a diverse range of audiences both internally and externally and to persuade others to gain their support
- You know the importance of negotiation and influence; inviting in key stakeholders in the planning and development of action plans/processes to gain buy-in and commitment and build consensus.
- You value relationship building; working effectively with others on common goals, negotiating a win-win solution to achieve the objectives of the team, and contributing to and accepting group consensus when reached.
- You have a strong customer service orientation; honoring commitments to internal and external stakeholders by providing helpful, courteous, accessible, responsive, and knowledgeable customer service.
- You have strong judgment & decision making ability for analyzing problems and developing effective, viable solutions that drive the effectiveness of the team and the organization as a whole.
- You have high EQ and understand, use and manage emotions in positive ways to communicate effectively, empathize with others, overcome challenges, and defuse conflict.
- You believe in young people and are curious about the needs and wants of young people across the spectrum of identity and difference and believe that their involvement in civic engagement, democracy, human services, etc has the power to change young people, their communities and the world!
- You’ve made a commitment to intersectional equity and have an ability to lead across differences and model a commitment to continuous learning and exploration of race, equity, inclusion and cross-cultural competency in the workplace.
- You are pop culture conscious and have a curiosity for, and a finger on, the pulse of current events and trends among our primary demographic, and the ability to apply an intersectional equity and inclusion lens to inform understanding of youth culture throughout the identity and political spectrums.
Select Perks & Benefits.
- 3 weeks vacation, paid winter holiday break (from Christmas to New Years), and ½ Day Summer Fridays (Memorial Day to Labor Day!).
- Medical and dental premiums fully covered by us. You read that right!
- An incredibly compelling reason to wake up and make it to work every day.
DoSomething.org is an equal opportunity employer.
Please, no calls.
DoSomething.org and DoSomething Strategic (“we”, “us”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy explains when and why we collect personal information on candidates, and how we keep it secure.
Who are we?
- DoSomething.org is one of the largest organizations in the world focused on young people and social change. DoSomething Strategic is the consulting arm of DoSomething.org. Our 6 million+ members take action, online and offline, to better their communities by participating in one of our 250+ cause campaigns.
How and why we collect data from you.
- We collect and retain data that is included in your job application. This includes your full name, contact information, and any personal information disclosed in your resume, cover letter, and other supplemental application materials.
- Data is collected for evaluation criteria when seeking employment at DoSomething
- We will only use your data for what was originally intended -- for purposes of seeking and gaining employment at DoSomething. Your data will not be “recycled” for marketing emails or to sell to third parties.
How long do we retain this data?
- DoSomething will retain candidate profiles for 3 years.
- Annually on August 1, candidate profiles from 3+ years prior will be entirely deleted from our system.
Is your data secure?
- JazzHR maintains secure job board pages. Job boards will default to HTTPS. Additionally, if we were to terminate our contract with JazzHR our candidate data is deleted from JazzHR’s systems in accordance with JazzHR’s Terms of Service.