Role: Senior Manager, Business Development
Reports to: VP, Business Development
Start Date: ASAP
DoSomething.org is a movement to create the most socially active generation in history.
- We fight for our members every single day. We care deeply about activating our 6 million members around the world to make impact in their communities.
- We believe in young people. We believe all young people have the agency to create social change and we provide them with the guidance to make it happen.
- We don’t hire just anybody. We work hella hard, we move super fast, and we’re a bunch of weirdos. We want people who get excited to come to work at our dynamic office every day.
- We genuinely stand behind who we are and what we do. No faking it here. Everyone on our staff has their own “why” for coming to work every day. What will yours be?
We have the stability of a 25-year-old organization, but we look, feel, and operate like a tech-forward startup. We’re looking for someone with 3-5 years' experience closing deals in a fundraising or sales role to join our business development team. Biz Dev is tasked with creating and securing partnerships with top brands to elevate our impactful campaigns and fund DoSomething.org. Your successes will be an essential part of the organization’s success.
The Biz Dev team is small, scrappy, and hungry. You’ll be a leader on the team who has experience initiating and developing corporate partnerships and a track record of achieving revenue goals. You’ll wear many hats in service of locking the partner — no task is too big or small. Everyone on the Business Development team works together to:
- Achieve Annual Revenue Goals. First and foremost, we’re responsible for achieving our annual revenue goals. The work to support this ranges from keeping an organized portfolio of prospects to designing your own pitch decks to flying across the country at a moment’s notice to move a partnership forward.
- Be a Face of DoSomething. As a member of our revenue-generating team, you’ll be “on” all the time, and represent DoSomething consistent with our brand values: relevant, inspiring, and never just meh. You’re social, but you’re also substantive. People leave conversations with you feeling smarter, more motivated, and excited to take action.
Everyday is a bit different in our world, but here are some of your main responsibilities:
- Sponsor Management and Renewals (30%). The Campaigns team manages fulfillment of partnerships you lock, but you’ll still remain a key contact for sponsors. You’ll be in charge of resigns, upsells, and finding new ways to engage existing partners by deepening their relationship with DoSomething. You make their business, your business.
- Meetings, Preparation, and Planning (40%). You’ll be expected to design your own decks from templates, draft your own proposals using approved language, schedule meetings, reach out to conferences, make ridiculous gifs to shout out partners, and do all sorts of tasks that support the strategies you put in place! We’re the headliner and the roadie!
- New Corporate Partnerships (20%). Research, reach out to, and secure new corporate partners for DoSomething that are on-brand and genuinely care about cause. Maintain relationships so they never go cold and always have DoSomething top-of-mind.
- New Revenue Streams (10%). Presently, the majority of our revenue comes from campaign sponsorships by corporates. You’re excited to find more assets to derive revenue from and explore new revenue streams. You have a history of customizing packages and are excited to strategically explore new opportunities for DoSomething.
You are resourceful, fast on your feet, and know what questions to ask to get what you want. You can adapt your pitch and your process to be successful in many different environments (what works for one partner, might not fit for another!). You are a street smart listener, a consensus builder, and create value for the listener at every interaction. You have a magnetic personality, but more than just being social...you have substance.
- You’re the most driven person you know. You get excited by the prospect of hitting a goal by any means necessary. You don’t settle.
- You thrive under pressure. Multiple deadlines, competing priorities, and pitching to CEOs are all in a day’s work. You know how know how to work efficiently and balance your time to get the most out of every minute of the day. We have a "show must go on" mentality and find a way to make it work in.
- You’re an exceptional communicator and translator. You can hear what a person says and doesn’t say, you understand non-verbals are a major part of the package, and you can pivot accordingly.
- You’re a strong writer and proofreader. A LOT of our business is via email and through proposals. You are a strong writer, a grammar freak, and have been known to use a semicolon on occasion; sometimes, you just need a clause!
- You’re passionate. There’s a reason why DoSomething excites you; whether it’s social change via tech or the power of young people, you support it all!
- You’re curious. Yes…we’re amazing people! But we know there’s so much beyond our org to learn and inspire us! You read the NYT and WSJ to find opportunities for where we could create value for brands they are profiling. You think about what the prospects needs over what we have to offer.
- You have a "no job too small" mentality. Some days we’re pitching CMOs. And earlier that day we’re drafting emails, getting people coffee, scheduling meetings, and designing in google docs. You’re a jack of all trades that relishes juggling a diverse workload.
- You’re resourceful. You thrive in environments where goals are clear, but the pathway is yours to define. You can figure things out — and aren’t afraid of a good ol’ YouTube tutorial!
Select Perks & Benefits:
- 3 weeks' vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s (and Summer Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day -- office closes at 1:30), fun office environment, a spot on our summer kickball team, and occasional brownie bake-offs. Plus, you don’t have to come to work on your birthday.
- 100% medical and dental premiums covered. Yep, you read that right.
- Five (or six? We’re losing count.) different ways to make coffee. We also have tea, if that’s more your thing.
- DoSomething is an equal opportunity employer. Obviously.
Please, no calls.
DoSomething.org and DoSomething Strategic (“we”, “us”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy explains when and why we collect personal information on candidates, and how we keep it secure.
Who are we?
- DoSomething.org is one of the largest organizations in the world focused on young people and social change. DoSomething Strategic is the consulting arm of DoSomething.org. Our 6 million+ members take action, online and offline, to better their communities by participating in one of our 250+ cause campaigns.
How and why we collect data from you.
- We collect and retain data that is included in your job application. This includes your full name, contact information, and any personal information disclosed in your resume, cover letter, and other supplemental application materials.
Data is collected for evaluation criteria when seeking employment at DoSomething
- We will only use your data for what was originally intended -- for purposes of seeking and gaining employment at DoSomething. Your data will not be “recycled” for marketing emails or to sell to third parties.
How long do we retain this data?
- DoSomething will retain candidate profiles for 3 years.
- Annually on August 1, candidate profiles from 3+ years prior will be entirely deleted from our system.
Is your data secure?
- JazzHR maintains secure job board pages. Job boards will default to HTTPS. Additionally, if we were to terminate our contract with JazzHR our candidate data is deleted from JazzHR’s systems in accordance with JazzHR’s Terms of Service.