Director of Analytics
Reports to: Chief Product Officer
Start Date: ASAP
DoSomething.org is a movement to create the most socially active generation in history.
- We fight for our members every single day. We care deeply about activating our 5.5million members around the world to make impact in their communities.
- We believe in young people. We believe all young people have the agency to create social change and we provide them with the guidance to make it happen.
- We don’t hire just anybody. We work hella hard, we move super fast, and we’re a bunch of weirdos. We want people who get excited to come to work at our dynamic office every day.
- We genuinely stand behind who we are and what we do. No faking it here. Everyone on our staff has their own “why” for coming to work every day. What will yours be?
At its core, DoSomething.org is a data-informed organization. Every strategy conversation begins with what does the data say?. The analytics team’s job is to analyze large and fast-moving data sets, detect changes in our member’s behavior and the global youth population, and test new products and ideas. The Director of Analytics will manage this team and facilitate data-informed decision making throughout the organization. This role will report to the Chief Product Officer and work closely with the product team to execute product and messaging strategies for the org.
We are looking for candidates with exceptional analytical skills who can self-direct and independently find (and make the case for) new growth opportunities. Successful candidates will be comfortable in a product culture of open feedback and will be able to mount/accept data-driven arguments for/against initiatives.
What you’ll do here:
- Management: Direct our analytics team, which includes product analytics and member research functions.
- Strategic Analytics: Define our data roadmap, model the impact of products and feature changes, define best practices, and support the prioritization of future work.
- Tactical Analytics: Collaborate with the product team to deliver data informed insights to enable day-to-day decision making (examples: AB testing, performing pre/post product launch analytics).
- Research: Oversee member and market insights, manage the design of surveys for both members and the general youth population, and use the findings to derive product, content, and communication strategy for the organization.
- Present: Communicate data and insights to staff, lead KPI reporting at weekly management meetings, and provide updates to Board of Directors.
- Democratize Data: Share data in a digestible way with the entire organization; generate, maintain, and automate reporting (e.g. Looker dashboards); and promote a culture of data-informed decision making across teams.
- 3+ years industry experience, preferably in consumer web products
- Experience managing/building a team
- SQL coding skills and advanced excel skills
- Expertise with web analytics
- Experience with Google Analytics, MixPanel or similar
- Expertise in experiment design and implementation (a/b testing)
- Experience with Optimizely, Sixpack or similar
- Familiarity with data models, database design development, and segmentation techniques
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Persuasive and clear presenter.
- Nice to have: Looker (LookML), Keen.io, MongoDB, Python, and/or R skills
How to apply:
Please include a clear and concise cover letter as part of your application to give us a sense of your written communication skills. In this cover letter, please make clear:
1. Why you'd like to join the DoSomething.org Product and Analytics Team.
2. A brief overview of a relevant initiative you led that enabled better decision-making at your organization.
3. Any other experiences you've had that would make you an asset to our team.
- 3 weeks vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Years (plus Summer Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day!). And your birthday, Valentine’s day, and a half-day on Halloween. If you’re in costume. Seriously.
- A fun office environment, a gong, brownie bake-offs, and the best coworkers you could ask for.
- Medical and dental premiums fully covered by us. Mhmm. You read that right.
- Five (or six? We’re losing count.) different ways of making coffee.
- An incredibly compelling reason to wake up and make it to work every day.
- DoSomething.org is an equal opportunity employer. (Although we do reserve the right to discriminate against people who wear white socks with dark shoes...)
Please, no calls.