Reports to: Creative Director
DoSomething.org is a movement to create the most socially active generation in history.
- We fight for our members every single day. We care deeply about activating millions of young people around the world to make impact in their communities.
- We believe in young people. We believe all young people have the agency to create social change and we provide them with the guidance to make it happen.
- We don’t hire just anybody. We work hella hard, we move super fast, and we’re a bunch of weirdos. We want people who get excited to come to work at our dynamic office every day.
- We genuinely stand behind who we are and what we do. No faking it here. Everyone on our staff has their own “why” for coming to work every day. What will yours be?
The Graphic Designer will play an important role on our fearless Creative Team. We’re looking for an experienced and energetic designer who’s ready to produce fun & edgy visual work in a fast-paced environment. They will design assets for both web and print, work alongside our photo/video team, keep a consistent visual design language, and offer suggestions on how we can grow and excel as a Creative Team. Must be passionate, driven, and have a unique eye for what works.
To succeed at this job you need to have awesome design chops, know how to collaborate, and be able to take a project on your own and see it through from start to finish. The Creative Team values and encourages taking ideas beyond the screen and bringing any wild idea to the table! Do you have an interesting skill that makes people do a double-take? Do you keep an X-acto nearby for impromptu crafting? Are you the cousin in your family that can make a sick logo? You may have just found your dream job.
You’ll be working with digital content teams, marketing, campaigns, business development, developers, and UX designers. You’ll also be working on multiple projects at the same time, so attention to detail and ability to effectively manage competing timelines and prioritize is huge. Specifically, you’ll work on:
- Graphic Design: Create purposeful & beautiful graphic design work that drives the DoSomething.org brand. This includes campaign assets, social media assets, banner ads, assets for events, infographics, and more.
- Brand Collateral: Manage the design and development of key brand collateral, like business cards, memo template, one-sheeters, letterhead, event collateral, print assets, and pitch decks (presentations).
- UI Design: Contribute ideas to improve DoSomething.org's overall visual design and site UX.
- Photo/Video: work with the photo/video team in creating cross-platform content. This may include social videos and photos for Instagram, Instagram stories, Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat.
We’re looking for someone with 3-4 years experience in graphic design. This is a great position for a strong designer to help push a brand forward. You’ll need:
- Design chops. You know your way around visual design software, especially Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, PhotoShop, InDesign) and Sketch. You work well with grid + layout, but have no fear thinking outside the box. You know how to set up files for web and print, and you have a solid background in graphic design - talking fonts, hierarchy, color, and UI elements will take you far.
- Taste. You get all ooey-gooey when you see great design. You stay on top of design trends, follow brands for their design aesthetic, and your camera roll is not filled with selfies but instead with screenshots of inspo and creative ideas. You care about your pencil collection (or sneakers or something!), and your biggest fear isn’t snakes...its boredom.
- Dedication: We’re a hard-working, enthusiastic team, and we’re looking for someone who wants to drive the brand forward and take pixel perfect work through the finish line.
- Attention to detail. You notice the little things, like weird spacing, colors that don’t match, and typos. You stay on track and ensure that deliverables are always on schedule.
- You’re collaborative. You articulate and defend each design choice you make and provide both specific and high level feedback to team members and managers, while ultimately understanding the end goal isn’t your ego but a great output for our members and sponsors.
- You’re flexible. You know when to change direction and you take feedback (from sponsors and colleagues) well and with professionalism.
- You get us. Have a natural affinity for the DoSomething.org brand ethos.
Nice to Haves:
- Illustration: We value using all of our skill sets and applying them to our work. If illustration is one of them, (hand or digital) we want to hear from you.
- Photo/Video Skills: Know your way around a DSLR? Do your friends ask you to take a new photo of them for their Tinder profile?
- Animation: Have experience in AfterEffects? Or motion graphics?
Note that a digital portfolio displaying your work is required for consideration.
- 3 weeks vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Year’s (and Summer Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor day -- office closes at 1:30), fun office environment, a spot on our summer kickball team, occasional brownie bake-offs. Plus, you don’t have to come to work on your birthday.
- 100% medical premiums covered. Yep, you read that right.
- Five (or 6? We’re losing count.) different ways to make coffee. We also have tea, if that’s more your thing.
- DoSomething.org is an equal opportunity employer (Although we do reserve the right to discriminate against people who wear white socks with dark shoes...)
Please, no calls.